Initiates maintenance of campus, trails, ecosystems and outdoor spaces in a safe, aesthetic, and user-friendly manner. Exercises exceptional organizational skills, customer service skills, and independent judgment in decision making. Physically fit and works outside year round in all seasons. Demonstrated problem-solving ability. Represents ICNC in a positive and professional manner.
- Safely and efficiently carries out all duties. Uses all safety equipment and identifies risks as needed to improve safety.
- Performs regular outdoor maintenance: mows/weedwacks campus and trails weekly; remove trail debris as needed; performs snow removal as appropriate.
- Supervises and works with individual volunteers and groups on land restoration and similar projects, including planting, tree clearing, seed harvesting, and other duties.
- Performs facility maintenance as needed, including general upkeep and repair. Maintains facilities and work areas in a clean and orderly manner. Ensures grounds and facilities are secured as needed.
- Assists with coordinating and facilitating special event programs as directed. May coordinate volunteer committees and work groups, assist with promotional materials, supervise and evaluate the event.
- Develops, manages, and reviews budgets for all assigned areas. Meets targets for both income and expenses.
- Assists with special events and large programs, including Maple Syrup Festival, Concerts, Honey Fest, Plant Sale, and Nature’s Noel and other assigned events.
- Maintains equipment as appropriate; consults with supervisor when needed.
- Annually attends teacher naturalist training.
- Serves as Nature Center representative in community forums as requested.
- Perform other duties as directed.
Based on experience
Health and dental insurance allowance, vision insurance, life insurance, retirement (403b) match, flexible scheduling, unlimited vacation time, one free rental of Amazing Space per year, additional discounted rentals of Amazing Space, Creekside Shop discount, free use of ICNC kayaks and canoes, free firewood.
High school courses important to the position:
Must enjoy working with hands and in a physical environment. Must have an affinity for the outdoors and deep care for the environment.
Training, certifications, or degree needed to qualify for the position:
2 year degree in a related field, one year of work experience in a related field required. Must have valid Iowa driver?s license and automobile insurance.
Specific skills that your business recognizes as fundamental to employment (life skills):
Energetic, professional demeanor, positive attitude and motivation. Manages projects of varying scales. Basic knowledge of outdoor skills, equipment and tool use, and safety practices. Basic understanding of regional ecology and environmental principles. Adept at identifying and solving problems. Good oral and written communication skills and ability to share and teach information. Experience in volunteer management. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds unassisted. Ability to be outdoors in good and inclement weather.
Advancement opportunities in the company:
All staff at Indian Creek Nature Center are selected for leadership opportunities as they arise and as the staff member desires.