As a parent or guardian, you have great influence over your child's choice of career path. How they effectively prepare for their next steps in life as early as middle school will have great long term results as they compete in today's job market.
Community Promise capitalizes on career exposure and experiences that lead to authentic career pursuit. We're talking about jobs right in our own backyard. We're focused on exposing you and your child to great opportunities here in our community and region. Just like you, we want our best and brightest to be successful here at home. We have dozens of business partners ready to build relationships with you and your child that will transform false perceptions of real careers in our community.
From career exposure to full career pursuit, here's how we do it with students.
Here are a few ways you can support your student as they explore a variety of careers:
- Learn more about real jobs in our community by exploring our Job Profile Database.
- Encourage your student to visit their high school career services center as soon as possible.
- Use the Future Ready Iowa Career Coach Tool to research a variety of careers. Here you'll find information about wages in our region, required training, and opportunities for advancement.
- Help your student think realistically about their skills and interests. Sit down with them and help them complete a free Career Assessment.
- Stay open to new ideas and help your student uncover the tremendous career opportunities that exist here at home. While suggestions may be appreciated, encourage your student to take ownership for making career choices.
- Help your student recognize that not every high paying job requires a four year college degree.
- Promote the value of job shadows, internships, and other work based learning opportunities.
- Take advantage of an opportunity to do a job shadow or career exploration experience with your student.
So How Can We Help?