The Marion Economic Development Corporation has an immediate opening for the following position.
Business Retention & Small Business Specialist: Full-time
(deadline for applications is 9/15/2019)
DOWNLOAD COMPLETE JOB DESCRIPTION
The Marion Economic Development Corporation exists to be economic development thought leaders who drive competitive advantage for Marion. The Business Retention & Small Business Specialist will interact regularly with existing businesses, landowners, and MEDCO investors and will have responsibility leading all primary sector business retention and expansion activities. This individual will also be responsible for overseeing and growing MEDCO's small business and entrepreneurial support services.
Ideal candidates will have similar prior economic development experience as well as proven leadership, organization, communication, and listening skills.
The Business Retention & Small Business Specialist reports to the President and does not have formal supervisory responsibilities.
- Relationship Builder
- Effective listener
- Exceptional follow-up
- Independent judgement and initiative
- Proven knowledge of BRE best practices
- Trusted with confidential information
- Solution seeker
- Flexible multitasker
- Persuasive verbal and written presenter
- Visible and respected within the Marion and ICR business community
- Leads primary sector business retention and expansion (BRE) program activities.
Meets regularly with businesses to identify needs, opportunities, barriers, and issues facing local enterprise.
- Develops and oversees small business support programs and new strategies to cultivate entrepreneurial assets and activities in the community.
- Evaluates BRE data and advises MEDCO President and Board of Directors on local business activity, expansion plans, development obstacles, and strategic opportunities.
- Implements programming influenced by results of BRE program.
- Maintains knowledge of the community's business development assets including service providers, incentive programs, and development sites.
- Manages local property listing system (LOIS) and stays informed of current building and land listings.
- Makes presentations to businesses, groups, and associations on available business services and assistance programs
- Together with the President, maintains a database of project leads and business prospects.
- Generates statistical reports and information in connection with Business Retention & Expansion program.
- Supports and influences the development of primary sector business attraction initiatives within community and regional target industries.
REQUIREMENTS / REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrated knowledge of economic development processes and practices in the areas of business retention, business development, workforce development, and community marketing.
- Two years of experience in economic development, business retention, business assistance, or a related field.
- General knowledge in developing visual aids, brochures, reports, and multi-media presentations (graphic design experience not required).
- Bachelor's degree in Economic Development, Public Administration, Business, Real Estate, or a related field.
- Experience with Synchronist Suite preferred.
- Demonstrated career progression of commitment, success and growth.
- Knowledge of economic development finance, business credit analysis and real estate finance.
- Time Management – Plans and organizes daily work routine. Excellent skills in planning and coordinating multiple projects and activities.
- Demonstrated integrity, adaptability, innovation, and collaboration.
COMPENSATION - Competitive salary, long term disability, life insurance, generous personal time off, and company-matched retirement plan available.
TO APPLY - Qualified and dynamic candidates should send resume (with references) and cover letter with salary requirements to Nick Glew, MEDCO President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT MEDCO - The Marion Economic Development Corporation (MEDCO) is a 35-year old 501(c)6 nonprofit organization. We exist to be economic development thought leaders who drive competitive advantage for Marion. More information about MEDCO can be found at www.medcoiowa.org.
Contact: Mr. Nick Glew, President
Marion Economic Development Corporation
1225 6th Ave., Suite 100
Marion, Iowa 52302
Interested candidates can also submit information via the form below. We will follow up with you via email to confirm receipt of the files requested.